Clinical Updates – September 17, 2020
|Patient Impact of COVID-19 in U.S.
Clinical Articles and Studies
Association Between Administration of Systemic Corticosteroids and Mortality Among Critically Ill Patients With COVID-19
- This is a prospective meta-analysis of 7 randomized trials for the treatment of critically ill patients with COVID-19 that included 1,703 patients – 647 of whom died.
- The 28-day all-cause mortality was lower among patients who received corticosteroids compared to those who received usual care or placebo.
Considering the Potential for an Increase in Chronic Pain After the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Chronic pain is impacted by and affects all aspects of the bio-psycho-social model with significant individual, family and societal consequences.
- As we gain a better understanding of COVID's longer-term effects on these three fronts, we will also need to address the health issues directly or indirectly related to COVID's sequela.
COVID-19 and the Path to Immunity
- Understanding the features and evolution of B-cell and T-cell mediated adaptive immunity to COVID-19 is essential for developing effective control strategies.
- This article includes a review of acute and long-term adaptive response and addresses reinfection as well as the two critical paths to vaccine modulation: Neutralizing antibodies and boosting antiviral CD8+ and TH1 CD4+ T cells.
6 Months Later – What We've Learned
- While new information about the virus is published daily, here are five things we know right now that we didn’t know in March.
- COVID-19 is not the flu; surges occur in pockets; necessity is the mother of innovation; health and wellness are critical; misinformation is a serious concern.